Cape Town: The ODI between England and South Africa was canceled after a case of coronavirus infection was discovered at a luxury hotel in Cape Town. Both teams stayed at this hotel. Some members of both teams are infected. 2 hotel staff were also affected by this disease.
The decision to cancel the ODI series was taken by the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) and Cricket South Africa (CSA). The two councils issued a statement indicating that the decision had been taken “to ensure the mental and physical health of the players of both teams”.
“The CSA is doing everything in its power to ensure that our top priority, which is the health, safety and well-being of players, support staff and everyone involved in this series, is preserved.” . With this in mind, we have taken the joint decision to cancel today’s match.
– South Africa Cricket (@OfficialCSA) December 6, 2020
The first game of this series was due to be played on Friday, but on the morning of the game a South African player was found to be coronavirus positive, which postponed the game until Sunday.
Also Read – T Natarajan gave emotional reaction after winning T20 series, see tweet
After that, the first ODI was canceled on Sunday as 2 hotel staff were found to be also infected with Kovid-19 (COVID-19). After that, the England team carried out further tests. Two members of the England squad have also tested positive for Kovid-19, although the ECB has said it wants an independent medical team test verification before deciding on the remaining matches on the tour.
The ECB and Cricket South Africa were due to host the remaining 2 ODIs, but the tour ended with Monday’s announcement. The ECB and CSA have said they are effectively postponing the series until England finds a suitable time to visit South Africa again to play the game.
ECB CEO Tom Harrison said: “We have always said that the well-being of our players and the management of the team is paramount. We were concerned about recent events and after consultation with Cricket South Africa we have decided to postpone the remaining matches in this series in the best interests of the players. The ECB did not provide any information on the status of the 2 members of its team deemed positive for Kovid-19 this weekend.
This is an embarrassing incident for South African cricket which failed to maintain the biosafety of the Cape Town hotel. During the tour which started in mid-November, 3 South African players were tested positive and 2 of them are said to have entered the bio-safe environment. A 3-game T20 streak was played between these two teams earlier, which England won 3-0.